I was just handed a technical test, this was for a job interview, and I was a little... well I'll say surprised, but then shocked, by the reply, lets take a look... I was handed these SQL statements, in several questions, and then told to summarise what I should see on any output of the various instructions.... create table customers (id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, name Text, age INTEGER, weight REAL); insert into customers values(73, "Brian", 42, 33); insert into customers values(1, "Helen", 12, 12.5); select * from customers; SELECT name, CASE WHEN age > 18 THEN "adult" ELSE "minor" END "type" FROM customers; create table orders (id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, customer_id INTEGER, desc TEXT); insert into orders values (0, 73, "Apples"); insert into orders values (1, 73, "Oranges"); insert into orders values (2, 1, "Bananas"); select * from orders; SELECT customers.name, orders.desc FROM customers JOIN orders ON ...
Recently I had to explain to a none-developer how we had been working on a project, that is to say he and I. I explained that our common boss worked very much in terms of the Cathedral, everything is big, grand, old, with set sources for supplies and almost dogmatic adherence to their ways of working. Whilst he and I had been working, with extraordinary success, in a much more agile manner, in the manner of the Bazaar. Anyone could bring items to us, he could filter some queries, I could filter some others, between us we then worked in an Agile manner to achieve a result. I myself ran the development, and I pushed builds, lots of builds, releasing at least twice daily. Any problem was picked up, worked on, solved and the next build had it, leaving a train of progressively better builds step by step, until we sit today with a fully functional system and we await input from multiple other sources. The main source for things we are awaiting is the Cathedral, we have ...
You're all aware (I hope) of my stack of servers under the desk, however, the main server I use is actually a re-purposed desktop - it's the G33 chipset Socket 775 to Socket 771 running a Xeon E5420... And I have my plan forming to re-case my main workstation, however, I wondered... As I'm currently very exposed with data not replicated across drives on my little server and the machine being quite high power, whether I might not do better in the short term of recasing both... AND changing the server to an always on box. This way, I could build a machine around a dedicated new board and chip... I started out with the AMD APU's the 2580 and some others, up to a quad core, and as fabulous as they look on cost they didn't float my boat. I don't need a lot of number crunching power on the server, so what was my concern? Well, I'm an Intel guy... Always have been, and think I always will be. Obviously I started with MOS processors, then moved into the world of M...
Comments
Post a Comment